Ho Phra Keo (variously spelled as Haw Phra Keow, Ho Prakeo, Ho Phra Kaew), and commonly known as the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, is the former royal temple of the Lao monarchy. It has since been turned into a museum and is no longer used as a place of worship. Ho Phra Keo is situated just across Setthathirat Road from Wat Sisaket. King Setthathirat built it in 1565 to house the Emerald Buddha (indeed, the name Ho Phra Keo means Image of the Jewel Buddha) which he brought with him to Laos after his father, King Phothisarat died, and Setthathirat moved the capital from Lanna (in present day Chiangmai) to Vientiane. The Ho Phra Keo is open daily from 8:00am to noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Admission fee is 5,000 Kip (0.60 USD).